Thursday, March 1, 2007

Racing towards the finish line...

After the week from hell, we had our last rehearsal tonight (Wednesday). I think energy was up and maybe nerves a bit too. Which, as Scott explained, we have to watch because we loose the “genuineness” of the show when we get hyped up.

I was so glad I could make it tonight (it looked iffy for awhile). Let me explain: Sunday, after rehearsal, I came out of the theater only to discover my car had been broken into (that’s what I get for leaving that 99 cent ice scraper in plain site). So I marched back to the Art Loft, determined to call the police and right this injustice that had fallen on me.  As I am on the cell phone with the cops the Art Loft phone rings (highly unusual). Since I was busy, Scott Miller answered and I heard him say “he is on the other line do you want to hold?” Now my mind is whirling and I am writing down the police report number. Finally I pick up the other phone to hear my Aunt tell me that my brother (somewhat estranged for many years) had died down in Texas.  I rush to my Mom’s house immediately (window broken out, hands freezing, nose running and legs numb). I comfort my Mom, call my Dad down in Texas and immediately realize that neither is any shape to handle what has to come next. I called down to the Dayton, Texas police to find out the next steps. Called the airline and booked two seats for departure on Tuesday morning and drove to the airport to sign the special vouchers for bereavement fairs.

Next day I spent the whole day with my Mom and went to rehearsal that night... OH, I had called Scott and let him know I was going to miss Tuesday’s rehearsal. Tuesday morning I woke up at 5:00 am and got packed, called my ex to come pick me up (since we couldn’t drive my car) and we went to the airport, after picking up Mom. Mom and I head straight to the funeral home when we land (P.S.  Texas is a big ole’ turd of a state... YUCK!). This morning we wake up at 4 (my mom is a freak about being late) and we headed out to the airport.  Strangely enough I saw my boss, Alex, there. He was heading to Florida. Anyway, our flight from Houston Hobby (the corn in the turd of Texas) was an hour late getting there and it became obvious that we wouldn’t make the connecting flight in Dallas.

I was right. We land in Dallas and my 60 something mother and I are running through the airport (props to mom... not bad for an old lady) and we get to the gate right as the plane is pulling away. So we got put on the next flight which would put us into St. Louis at 7:20 (rehearsal starts at 8). We arrive 10 minutes early and I change into my costume in the car and I get to rehearsal a little past 8.

So as you can see, I am tired but I was determined to not let the cast or Scott down. They’re my theater family and it was important to me to be there for them. Plus its rather cathartic to just forget about crap and be in the moment.

We open tomorrow and I can’t wait. So Mark, my performance tomorrow is for you. Sorry you couldn’t be here to see it. I wish you would have found happiness when you were alive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lose, baby. Not loose.

Anonymous said...

Well said.