Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Insert Witty Headline Here....

I realized at last night's rehearsal that the group is starting to
gel really well and thats swell (my little ode to Vince Fontaine).
The cool thing is that it is going along gender lines. Guys are
bonding and girls are bitchy (some of the guys too) and then the
couples meet in the middle. I really like the cast and this will be
one of those shows that I am sad to see end (we'll see if I still say
that on week 4 of performances).

On a character note, I am working on Doody's walk. It seems silly but
I think Doody would walk differently than the rest of the guys... not
as confident as them but rather unsure of himself and his body.
Maybe, once he grows a pair and asks Frenchy to dance, we could see a
subtle transformation. Maybe he gains more confidence in himself at
that point and we can see how he is going to survive out in the real
world.

Doody doesn't make decisions on his own very often. He always seeks
approval of others... making him even more pathetic (and lovable).
There is a point where Roger asks if we all want to go watch Mickey
Mouse Club, and I realized last night that Doody wouldn't
automatically say "yes". Because he is in the group of guys, he would
see if the other guys want to go first and then go along with the
majority. I think that's the motivation behind Doody helping to pants
Roger in act 2 even though they are the best of friends. What really
shows that "wanna-be-accepted" mentality is that he lets the other
guys go ahead and leave while he runs back and gives Roger his
Antenna back... his little way of saying "they made me do it." Doody
would be a prime candidate for joining a cult (and drinking the Kool-
Aid).

No comments: